I am 28. White. A Female. And a former Peace Corps Volunteer. I am HIV Positive. This is my story of how a few months, a few people, and a few events in Zambia changed me and my life forever. This is the story of how I contracted HIV and brought my Peace Corps Journey to a crashing halt... and how I am working now to pick up and put back together the pieces of my life as a newly diagnosed person living with HIV. This was not the journey I had originally planned... my path has traumatically and dramatically changed... but it is the one I am on now. There is no going back. There is only forward. I welcome you to follow along with me as I attempt to explore this new life ahead of me, whether you are someone from the Peace Corps community, or someone living with HIV. I welcome your comments, questions, suggestions, and opinions. Let us go forward together. To start from the beginning, click here He Gave Me More Than A Bracelet.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

To My Friend

A very brave Peace Corps friend of mine has an appointment to get an HIV test today. I am asking that all of you send your thoughts, prayers, love, and support her way. It is such a scary thing to go do, especially if you know you may have been put at risk. Please pray that she has the strength to go through with it, and that all turns out well. More than anything though, please let her know that there are people who will love and support her no matter what the outcome might be. Take a momemt to respond and send your support her way. Thanks!

11 comments:

  1. I've got my final test on March 18th. I'm here for you, PCV--much love and luck with everything. Regardless of result, I'm here for you and so so proud of you, your dedication, your service, and your compassion. Stay strong and well. There are far better things ahead than anything we've left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying and thinking of you! I know that it's a scary feeling but knowing your status is so important. No matter the result, we are here to support you! =) PCV - we support each other no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you. But thanks to Jessica my eyes have been opened to the many risks the peace Corp volunteers face while you're trying to change the world. You're more than just a single unassuming person. They're is something about you that is extraordinary. My thoughts and prayers are with you in this scary time. May God put his hand upon your shoulder and ease your nerves and calm your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for anyone who takes the time to go get tested. It is a strong, albeit scary, step to take. But moreso, I feel knowing your status is a responsibility to yourself and other partners you may come into contact with, just as it is your partner's responsibility to you. Unfortunately, the saying 'Ignorance is bliss' doesn't really apply here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You Know I am here for you sweet friend. And I will always be here for you just like I am here for Jessica. You are doing the right thing. Good Luck, I am praying for a good outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Proud of you for being brave! Praying for you and have been for a while! Those that love you will be there for u no matter what.

    Jessica's sister, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. To my friends friend, May you have all the strength needed to go and get the test done today. You are a brave soul and have many people walking in that office with you. You do not stand alone.
    Keep your head up. I am in the room with you even thought I am here in Syracuse NY.
    Signed the old man
    Friend of Jessicas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please know that there are people out there thinking of you as you take that brave step to get tested. Good luck and I wish for a good outcome for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck, and hope that you get a good outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck, and I am hoping for a wonderful, positive outcome! You are doing a brave and noble thing by finding out your status - only good things can come of it. Please let us know what the result is, and know that everyone who follows this blog supports you and is sending love your way...whether we know you or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i will be thinking of and praying for you. getting that test was one of the hardest things i had to do, but it was also one of the best. much much much love your way...

    ReplyDelete