I am 28. White. A Female. And a former Peace Corps Volunteer. I am HIV Positive. This is my story of how a few months, a few people, and a few events in Zambia changed me and my life forever. This is the story of how I contracted HIV and brought my Peace Corps Journey to a crashing halt... and how I am working now to pick up and put back together the pieces of my life as a newly diagnosed person living with HIV. This was not the journey I had originally planned... my path has traumatically and dramatically changed... but it is the one I am on now. There is no going back. There is only forward. I welcome you to follow along with me as I attempt to explore this new life ahead of me, whether you are someone from the Peace Corps community, or someone living with HIV. I welcome your comments, questions, suggestions, and opinions. Let us go forward together. To start from the beginning, click here He Gave Me More Than A Bracelet.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Happy Anniversary!

1/31/2012
One year ago today, I got on a plane to Philadelphia for staging for the Peace Corps. One year ago today, I met the other 28 volunteers that I was to spend my next 2 years in Zambia with. I can't believe so much time has passed already. I can't believe I am here, instead of there. Of the 29 of us that started that journey a year ago, 7 of us are already back home... 3 due to Medical Separation, and 4 due to Early Termination. 22 brave volunteers remain. I wish them luck, happiness, and good health as they continue on in the journey that we others could not quite complete. Happy Anniversary REDs 2011. Do us proud!

2 comments:

  1. Can't believe a year went by so fast. Time to see what we have time to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how quickly this year has passed. You never know how much your life can change in an instant. Your new path was not quite planned, but we are surely going forward. Hopefully better health and happiness this year.

    Love you Jess

    ReplyDelete